Is Escape Room OK for a 12 Year Old?
An escape room is one of the most thrilling indoor group activities available today. The UK is home to more than 1,500 escape rooms, while there are over 50,000 of them located all over the world. Escape rooms are fast becoming a favourite for birthdays, romantic dates, Halloween parties, stag and hen dos, school trips, team-building, or even a Saturday night!
You may wondering, is escape room ok for a 12 year old? We will answer this question in this article, which we hope you will find useful.
When were escape rooms invented?
Escape rooms originate from Live Action Role Playing, or LARPing, which is an experience where players role-play as characters from games or historical events. They also have origins in online “point and click” escape-the-room games, wherein players could solve puzzles, combine items, and escape out of a virtual room, from the comfort of their own home.
Other inspirations include traditional scavenger or treasure hunts and interactive theatres such as haunted houses or murder mystery dinner shows.
The first modern escape room was opened in 2007, all the way in Kyoto, Japan. The founder, Takao Kato, wanted to put players in a real-life situation, where they could solve riddles to escape from a themed room, in timed conditions. The idea gradually spread throughout the world, as more and more escape rooms have popped up, attracting thousands of paying customers who enjoy the excitement of solving their way out of a locked room.
Is escape room ok for a 12 year old?
When looking at escape rooms, you should always research whether they have age restrictions or a minimum age policy. Usually, escape rooms will admit children from 10 years old onwards, as long as they have a paying adult on their team.
Some escape rooms won’t allow children under 16, as their challenges may include horror themes, scares, and darkness, which may be unsuitable for young eyes.
There are also family-friendly escape rooms, which contain puzzles that are specifically designed for children as young as 7 or 8 years old.
At Escape Now, our company rule is that all players under 16 years old must be accompanied by a participating adult.
Are escape rooms scary?
No, not all escape rooms are designed to give you a fright!
It is a common misconception to believe that all escape rooms are scary.
Most escape rooms actually feature challenges which are completely free from jump scares, making them suitable for children and families. These family-friendly themes could include treasure hunts, Ancient Egypt, historical eras, spy missions, magic, science, and fantasy.
However, you will find escape rooms that are specific to the horror genre, which you should probably avoid if you scare easily! These spooky escape rooms feature fantastically frightening characters, such as ghosts, zombies, clowns, serial killers, prison guards, and other evil villains.
Whether the setting is a haunted mansion, secluded cabin, or a secret dungeon, you will find seriously creepy stories, decorations and graphics in horror-themed escape rooms!
If you are not sure how scary an escape room is, call ahead and ask the staff before you book your game. They will be happy to advise you if you have any questions or concerns.
Why visit Escape Now?
At Escape Now, we are a popular escape room in Birmingham. When you visit us, we promise you an adventurous, immersive experience, which will challenge you to tap into your intellectual and creative skills.
If you are looking to bring your employees for an ice-breaker or team-building exercise, we also offer corporate escape room experiences, which are playable for 10 to 30 players!
Click here to book your visit at Escape Now, for an exciting, unique and mentally challenging experience.
We have different challenges guaranteed to get you thinking! Here are three that we currently offer:
Sherlock´s Secret (Challenge level: Difficult)
In a city that breathes uncertainty, a gloom lures over 221B Baker St, as Sherlock Holmes has been abducted by the very killer he was chasing. What possibly could have happened?
To find Mr Holmes, we are recruiting only the best detectives in the city to solve the mystery and find Mr Holmes before it is too late. The odds are against you, so can you find Mr Holmes in time?
A serial murderer is on the loose, and Holmes and Watson have been on the case. In typical fashion, however, Holmes was struck with a breakthrough deduction and ran off. Thinking Holmes had simply solved the case and gone back home, Watson followed shortly behind. But when he arrived at 221B, there was no trace of Holmes – only a note left on the desk, written in the same strange code the killer has been leaving at the scenes of the crimes.
Unable to figure out the case himself, Watson recruits a top team of forensic investigators to assemble at 221B Baker St, to solve the case before time runs out and save Sherlock from the sadistic killer.
Haunted Hollow (Challenge level: Medium)
Ten years ago, Mr Hollowhill vanished without a trace, leaving only his ramshackle house behind. Though his disappearance was suspicious, the case eventually went cold.
Recently, the house was seized by the bank, auctioned and bought at a steal by investors only wishing to sell it off.
Knowing nothing of the house’s troubled history, the renovators believe this to be a simple job, but they don’t know what they are in for. This house holds many more secrets than first thought, and some of them are deadly. Just who was Mr Hollowhill? Where did he go? Dare to enter?
Cyberwarfare (Challenge level: Medium)
The cyborg world has taken over from humans! Created by humans, the cyborg has gained self-awareness and spread into millions of computer servers across the world!
You have joined the rebel army to take down the cyborgs. The task is to infiltrate the cyborg’s main facility and destroy the system from within. The rebels have found an algorithm which can take down the security system for only 1 hour.
This is your opportunity to take down the cyborgs, otherwise the human race will cease to exist.
How do I stay safe when visiting an escape room?
- If you or any players on your team feel nervous about potential jump scares, then call ahead and ask the staff about how scary the game will be. They will advise you on any questions and concerns you may have, and they may recommend an alternative challenge at their escape room, if need be.
- If you are bringing children under the age of 16 with you, you should supervise them at all times, and accompany them during the game.
- Always wear appropriate footwear. You may be refused entry into the game if you wear high heels, so you should always choose comfortable, sensible shoes.
- You may find it helpful to wear loose, comfortable clothing, as it can get hot inside the escape room. Plus, you may be bending, stretching and crawling, while searching for clues!
- Always take care of your personal belongings- don’t leave them in the waiting room where anybody can reach them. There may not be lockers available to store your possessions, in which case, you should keep them with you.
- Never run around in the escape room, as it may be a dark, enclosed space. Every escape room is be designed so that you can find clues while walking around slowly and inspecting the scene.
- Take extra caution if there are sharp objects in the escape room (such as scissors or a letter opener).
- When you do find clues, don’t leave these objects scattered around the escape room, as you and the other players can trip over them and injure yourselves.
- Never force anything in the escape room, which could be dangerous. For instance, don’t try to tear down the wallpaper, or smash into a glass box. The clues will be placed in a safe, accessible way, so you won’t have to use any type of force.
- If you need help, or if an emergency arises, alert the staff right away, and they will let you out and support you.
About Escape Now
Escape Now is the newest (and most exciting) escape room in Birmingham!
Bring your family, friends, colleagues or fellow gaming enthusiasts to Escape Now, for an unforgettable night of fun, mystery and intrigue.
We have 4 adventure rooms, which we have designed for teams of 2 to 6 players. It will be a race against the clock, as you work together to solve puzzling clues and piece together the story, before the time runs out!
To book your escape room experience, visit our website and select your game, number of players, date and time slot. We look forward to seeing you!
Our opening hours are as follows:
MON – THU: 10am – 8:30pm
FRI – SUN: 10am – 10pm
We hope we have answered the question ‘is escape room ok for a 12 year old?’
For similar content like this, read more articles on our blog, such as: