How Long Does It Take To Go Through an Escape Room?
You’ve decided to book an escape room and now you’re filled with anticipation and questions! Escape rooms are brilliant fun and offer an element of teamwork and challenge too, whilst under a strict time limit. You and your team will come across puzzles, riddles and clues that you must solve to work your way through the game.
If you want to know more about what to expect, you’re in the right place. Here you will find out what an escape room has to offer, including how long it takes to go through an escape room and other helpful hints, tips and information.
Why you should book an escape room experience
Escape rooms are one of the most fun team-building activities you can do with your friends and family. There are so many out there that many people work their way around each different room in the hopes of conquering them all!
The aim of the game is to solve the puzzles, clues and riddles to escape the room before the time is up and each has a different backstory and theme. You may need to solve a mystery within the time frame, solve a problem or find something in order to escape.
Don’t worry, if you don’t solve the room in the given time frame you aren’t doomed and destined to spend an eternity in the room. You and your team will be let out having had a great time and still victorious even with a loss. It’s no wonder why escape rooms are so popular and are still continuing to grow in popularity in 2023.
If you haven’t already, here is why you should book your escape room experience. If you have, great! Here are reasons why you’re going to love it:
- You’ll have fun with friends and family
- Tests and improves your team-building skills
- Provides you with a challenge
- It’s something different and unique
- Every experience is different
- Work on your problem-solving skills that can also help you in the workplace
- Relieve stress
- It’s inexpensive
How escape rooms work
You’re raring to go and get your escape room booked so here’s how it works.
- Gather your allies (we recommend you choose wisely)
- Choose a room (rooms have different difficulty ratings)
- Read and understand the rules
- Arrive in good time with a strategy in place
- Get settled in and enter your room
- Solve riddles and puzzles
- Escape or be doomed! (Just kidding).
Select your allies
The first thing to do is to gather your allies. Most escape rooms allow up to 6 people but don’t assume it’s better to have a bigger team as choosing a smaller team could make things easier. Choose people that you know will work well together, whether that’s just you and your best friend or a small team of three.
It may surprise you to learn that only around 30% of people beat their escape room the first time so choosing the best team possible is important if you’re going into the room wanting to succeed.
You may be wondering what age escape rooms are for. Some escape rooms are suitable for families with children, but not all of them are. Some themes and stories behind many escape rooms are inappropriate for children.
Escape rooms don’t necessarily have a specific target age group as they’re open to everyone but they’re most popular amongst 15-25. That being said, anyone can do an escape room, from groups of friends and family members or for corporate team building events.
Choose your fate wisely
The second thing to do is to plan your escape room experience and that means choosing an escape room. Every escape room is different and there are so many to choose from. Each room has a different story and theme behind it so choose one that piques your interest. Also, consider the escape room difficulty level. If this is your first attempt, choose a room that has a low difficulty rating, or, if you want to dive straight in with a challenge, choose a high difficulty rated room.
Strategies to win
If you’re the competitive type, you’ll need to go into your escape room experience with some strategies and lucky for you we have some ideas.
Here is a list of things that we recommend you do, including what to look for first when you enter the escape room.
- Utilise the skills of each player. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of your team and decide who is going to take the lead on different types of tasks. For example, if someone in your team is good with numbers, allow them to take the lead on numerical tasks.
- When you very first enter the room, look at everything! We really do mean everything, right down to the cracks in the wall, empty bottles on the floor, picture frames on the walls and books on a shelf. If something is too challenging to get to, such as above or behind tall and heavy pieces of furniture, it probably isn’t a clue.
- Follow the rules. If you are found to be breaking the rules, you could be disqualified from the game or be given a time penalty.
- It may sound trivial but eat before you arrive and allow yourself plenty of time to get there. To put on your best performance, you don’t want to be thinking about food or all flustered because you were late.
- Before arriving, make yourself familiar with the theme. What might you expect to see? What props, clues and challenges are typical of this type of storyline? This way, you’ll know what to look for when you enter.
- Take your time! Yes, you’re under a time restraint but if your strategy is to power through everything as quickly as possible you run the risk of missing something or making avoidable mistakes.
How long does it take to go through an escape room?
Most escape rooms have a 1-hour time limit. The time limit is intended to add even more challenge to your experience. The time will vary from room to room but for most, you will have one hour and this time will go extremely fast! Make the most of your time, enjoy yourself and follow the tips above to give you and your team the best chance of success.
Book Escape Now!
At Escape Now, we currently have three rooms available. Sherlock’s Secret is a difficult room to conquer, whereas Haunted Hollow and Getaway have a medium difficulty rating. We recommend starting with either of the two easier rooms if it’s your first visit.
In a city that breathes uncertainty, a gloom lures over 221B Baker St as Sherlock Holmes has been abducted by the very killer he was chasing. What possibly could have happened? To find Mr Holmes we are recruiting only the best detectives in the city to solve the mystery and find him before it’s too late. The odds are against you and time is running out, can you find Mr Holmes?
Ten years ago, Mr Hollowhill vanished without a trace, leaving only his ramshackle house behind. Though his disappearance was suspicious, the case eventually went cold. Do you have what it takes to enter the Haunted Hollow?
The notorious car theft ring called Matric Clan is currently embroiled in a brutal mafia war which has led to you and your car enthusiast friends recklessly being taken hostage in the chop shop at an unknown location. Can you escape in time?
So there you have it, an overview of what escape rooms are, how they work, our top strategies and how long you will have in your escape room. The only thing left to do now is gather your times and book! We look forward to seeing you soon.