Can You Leave an Escape Room at Any Time?
To successfully solve the challenges of an escape room, you and your team will need to have good escape room etiquette. As one of the best escape rooms in Birmingham, we at Escape Now have put a few rules in place, to keep our guests safe and help them maximise their fun during their time with us.
In this article, we will answer the question ‘can you leave an escape room at any time?’.
Keep reading to find out what the rules are, so you can complete your quest to the best of your ability.
Can you leave an escape room at any time?
Each escape room will have their own game rules. You must complete the challenge in the time slot that you are given (which is usually 60 minutes).
So, can you leave an escape room at any time?
Well, if you feel uncomfortable, or if there is a genuine emergency, you can ask to leave the game at any time. The staff are not going to force you to stay in the game room if you don’t want to.
But in most cases, you will not be allowed to re-enter the game room after you have left it.
That means you should go to the bathroom before your game begins, because if you take a toilet break during the game, you may not be allowed back in to the game room.
Can you ask for clues during an escape room game?
For the entirety of your game, you will be watched on CCTV by the staff at the escape room. You may be able to ask for hints from the staff, and someone will arrive to point you in the right direction.
However, the staff members aren’t going to tell you the answers to every puzzle. If you can’t escape the room in your time slot (usually 60 minutes), you will lose the game.
Can I use my phone in an escape room?
Nope! Mobile phones are not allowed in the escape room. You may be asked to store your mobile phone (as well as your coat and bag) in a locker while you are playing your game. But if lockers are not available in the facility, then you may be asked to turn your phone off instead.
It would be pointless to use Google anyway, because the puzzles in an escape room have been uniquely and intricately designed to suit a particular theme or storyline. So you won’t find the answers if you start searching for clues on the web!
Can I visit an escape room if I have claustrophobia?
Oftentimes, escape rooms are small, confined, dark spaces. They may also feature UV light and flashing lights.
If you choose a horror-themed escape room, then this may feature jump scares from actors and frightening images (such as scary clowns, blood and gore).
For the adrenaline junkies, there are also more thrilling escape rooms which involve more intense role-playing for players, such as being ‘taken as prisoner’, or being locked inside a coffin.
Hence, escape rooms may be a difficult environment for people with:
- anxiety or panic disorders
- heart problems
- physical disabilities
- limited cognitive and mobility functions
- visual impairments
If you have any of these health conditions, then we recommend consulting a doctor before reserving a place at an escape room.
It is also a wise idea to speak to the staff at the escape room prior to booking your visit, to check whether they can accommodate any of your needs.
How do I stay safe when visiting an escape room?
- If you or any players on your team feel nervous about potential jump scares, then call ahead to ask the staff about how scary the game will be. They will advise you on any questions and concerns you may have, and they may recommend an alternative challenge at their escape room, if need be.
- If you are bringing children under the age of 16 with you, you should supervise them at all times.
- Always wear appropriate footwear. You may be refused entry into the game if you wear high heels, so you should always choose comfortable, sensible shoes.
- You may find it helpful to wear loose, comfortable clothing, as it can get hot inside the escape room. Plus, you may be bending, stretching and crawling, while searching for clues!
- Always take care of your personal belongings- don’t leave them in the waiting room where anybody can reach them. There may not be lockers available to store your possessions, in which case, you should keep them with you.
- Never run around in the escape room, as it may be a dark, enclosed space. Every escape room is be designed so that you can find clues while walking around slowly and inspecting the scene.
- Don’t touch electrical sockets or visible wires inside the escape room: there won’t be any clues there, due to health and safety requirements.
- Take extra caution if there are sharp objects in the escape room (such as scissors or a letter opener).
- Don’t touch other equipment inside the escape room that genuinely have to be there for health and safety purposes- such as a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. There won’t be any clues inside them.
Why visit Escape Now?
At Escape Now, we are a popular escape room in Birmingham. When you visit us, we promise you an adventurous, immersive experience, which will challenge you to tap into your intellectual and creative skills.
If you are looking to bring your employees for an ice-breaker or team-building exercise, we also offer corporate escape room experiences, which are playable for 10 to 30 players!
Click here to book your visit at Escape Now, for an exciting, unique and mentally challenging experience.
We have different challenges that are guaranteed to get you thinking! Here are three that we currently offer:
- Sherlock´s Secret (Challenge Level: Difficult)
In a city that breathes uncertainty, a gloom lures over 221B Baker St, as Sherlock Holmes has been abducted by the very killer he was chasing. What possibly could have happened?
To find Mr Holmes, we are recruiting only the best detectives in the city to solve the mystery and find Mr Holmes before it is too late. The odds are against you, so can you find Mr Holmes in time?
A serial murderer is on the loose, and Holmes and Watson have been on the case. In typical fashion, however, Holmes was struck with a breakthrough deduction and ran off. Thinking Holmes had simply solved the case and gone back home, Watson followed shortly behind. But when he arrived at 221B, there was no trace of Holmes – only a note left on the desk, written in the same strange code the killer has been leaving at the scenes of the crimes.
Unable to figure out the case himself, Watson recruits a top team of forensic investigators to assemble at 221B Baker St, to solve the case before time runs out and save Sherlock from the sadistic killer.
Ten years ago, Mr Hollowhill vanished without a trace, leaving only his ramshackle house behind. Though his disappearance was suspicious, the case eventually went cold.
Recently, the house was seized by the bank, auctioned and bought at a steal by investors only wishing to sell it off.
Knowing nothing of the house’s troubled history, the renovators believe this to be a simple job, but they don’t know what they are in for. This house holds many more secrets than first thought, and some of them are deadly. Just who was Mr Hollowhill? Where did he go?
Do you dare to enter?
3.Cyberwarfare (Challenge level: Medium)
The cyborg world has taken over from humans! Created by humans, the cyborg has gained self-awareness and spread into millions of computer servers across the world!
You have joined the rebel army to take down the cyborgs. The task is to infiltrate the cyborg’s main facility and destroy the system from within. The rebels have found an algorithm which can take down the security system for only 1 hour.
This is your opportunity to take down the cyborgs, otherwise the human race will cease to exist.
About Escape Now
Escape Now is the newest (and most exciting) escape room in Birmingham! Bring your family, friends, colleagues or fellow gaming enthusiasts to Escape Now, for an unforgettable night of fun, mystery and intrigue.
We have 4 adventure rooms, which we have designed for teams of 2 to 6 players. It will be a race against the clock, as you work together to solve puzzling clues and piece together the story, before the time runs out!
To book your escape room experience, visit our website and select your game, number of players, date and time slot. We look forward to welcoming you!
Our opening hours are as follows:
MON – THU: 10am – 8:30pm
FRI – SUN: 10am – 10pm
We hope we have provided useful information about escape rooms, as well as answered the question ‘can you leave an escape room at any time?’
For similar content like this, read more articles on our blog, such as:
- What is an Escape Room?
- What Is The Best Escape Room in Birmingham?
- What to Wear to an Escape Room
- How Long Do Escape Rooms Last?
- What Age Is Best for Escape Rooms?
- Are Escape Rooms Suitable for Under 12’s?
- What to Wear to an Escape Room
- Can You Do an Escape Room With Three?
- What Should You Not Wear To An Escape Room?