Are Escape Rooms Scary?
Are you looking for a fun, indoor activity, to take the edge off after a stressful week? Then, an escape room could be your next adventure. So why not assemble a group of your nearest and dearest and solve your way out of a locked room!
As a popular escape room in Birmingham, we understand that a question on a lot of people’s minds before they visit an escape room is, ‘are escape rooms scary?’
Read on to find out the answer to this question.
What is an escape room?
An escape room is a real-life game, which challenges a team of players to free themselves from a locked room. There is usually a theme, storyline, and whimsical characters, as well as clues and riddles which the players must solve under timed conditions.
Players are not allowed to use their smartphones for help, so they must rely on their problem-solving skills and teamwork to successfully escape from the room!
Escape rooms originate from Live Action Role Playing, or LARPing, which is an experience where players role-play as characters from games or historical events. They also have origins in online “point and click” escape-the-room games, wherein players could solve puzzles, combine items, and escape out of a virtual room, from the comfort of their own home.
Are escape rooms scary?
So, are escape rooms scary?
No, not all escape rooms are designed to give you a fright!
It is a common misconception to believe that all escape rooms are terrifying houses of horror.
Most escape rooms actually feature challenges which are completely free from darkness and jump scares, making them suitable for children and families. These family-friendly themes could include treasure hunts, Ancient Egypt, historical eras, detective cases, spy missions, magic, science, dinosaurs, and fantasy.
However, you will find escape rooms that are specific to the horror genre. You should probably avoid these if you scare easily! Horror-themed escape rooms feature fantastically frightening characters, such as ghosts, zombies, clowns, serial killers, prison guards, and other evil villains.
Whether the setting is a haunted mansion, secluded cabin, or a secret dungeon, you will find seriously creepy stories, decorations and graphics in horror-themed escape rooms!
If you are not sure how scary an escape room is, call ahead and ask the staff before you book your game. They will be happy to advise you if you have any questions or concerns.
Can I visit an escape room if I have claustrophobia?
Escape rooms are often confined, dark spaces. They may also feature UV light and flashing lights.
If you choose a horror-themed escape room, then this may feature jump scares and frightening images (such as scary clowns).
Hence, escape rooms may be a difficult environment for people with:
- anxiety or panic disorders
- heart problems
- physical disabilities
- limited cognitive and mobility functions
- visual impairments
If you have any of these health conditions, then we recommend consulting a doctor before reserving a place at an escape room.
It is also a wise idea to speak to the staff at the escape room prior to booking your visit, to check whether they can accommodate any of your needs.
How do I stay safe when visiting an escape room?
- If you or any players on your team feel nervous about potential jump scares, then call ahead and ask the staff about how scary the game will be. They will advise you on any questions and concerns you may have, and they may recommend an alternative challenge at their escape room, if need be.
- If you are bringing children under the age of 16 with you, you should supervise them at all times, and accompany them during the game.
- Always wear appropriate footwear. You may be refused entry into the game if you wear high heels, so you should always choose comfortable, sensible shoes.
- You may find it helpful to wear loose, comfortable clothing, as it can get hot inside the escape room. Plus, you may be bending, stretching and crawling, while searching for clues!
- Always take care of your personal belongings- don’t leave them in the waiting room where anybody can reach them. There may not be lockers available to store your possessions, in which case, you should keep them with you.
- Never run around in the escape room, as it may be a dark, enclosed space. Every escape room is be designed so that you can find clues while walking around slowly and inspecting the scene.
- Take extra caution if there are sharp objects in the escape room (such as scissors or a letter opener).
- When you do find clues, don’t leave these objects scattered around the escape room, as you and the other players can trip over them and injure yourselves.
- Never force anything in the escape room, which could be dangerous. For instance, don’t try to tear down the wallpaper, or smash into a glass box. The clues will be placed in a safe, accessible way, so you won’t have to use any type of force.
- If you need help, or if an emergency arises, alert the staff right away, and they will let you out of the room and support you.
Why visit Escape Now?
At Escape Now, we are a popular escape room in Birmingham. When you visit us, we promise you an adventurous, immersive experience, which will challenge you to tap into your intellectual and creative skills.
If you are looking to bring your employees for an ice-breaker or team-building exercise, we also offer corporate escape room experiences, which are playable for 10 to 30 players!
Click here to book your visit at Escape Now, for an exciting, unique and mentally challenging experience.
We have different challenges that are guaranteed to get you thinking! Here are three that we currently offer:
Sherlock´s Secret (Challenge level: Difficult)
In a city that breathes uncertainty, a gloom lures over 221B Baker St, as Sherlock Holmes has been abducted by the very killer he was chasing. What possibly could have happened?
To find Mr Holmes, we are recruiting only the best detectives in the city to solve the mystery and find Mr Holmes before it is too late. The odds are against you, so can you find Mr Holmes in time?
A serial murderer is on the loose, and Holmes and Watson have been on the case. In typical fashion, however, Holmes was struck with a breakthrough deduction and ran off. Thinking Holmes had simply solved the case and gone back home, Watson followed shortly behind. But when he arrived at 221B, there was no trace of Holmes – only a note left on the desk, written in the same strange code the killer has been leaving at the scenes of the crimes.
Unable to figure out the case himself, Watson recruits a top team of forensic investigators to assemble at 221B Baker St, to solve the case before time runs out and save Sherlock from the sadistic killer.
Haunted Hollow (Challenge level: Medium)
Ten years ago, Mr Hollowhill vanished without a trace, leaving only his ramshackle house behind. Though his disappearance was suspicious, the case eventually went cold.
Recently, the house was seized by the bank, auctioned and bought at a steal by investors only wishing to sell it off.
Knowing nothing of the house’s troubled history, the renovators believe this to be a simple job, but they don’t know what they are in for. This house holds many more secrets than first thought, and some of them are deadly. Just who was Mr Hollowhill? Where did he go? Dare to enter?
Cyberwarfare (Challenge level: Medium)
The cyborg world has taken over from humans! Created by humans, the cyborg has gained self-awareness and spread into millions of computer servers across the world!
You have joined the rebel army to take down the cyborgs. The task is to infiltrate the cyborg’s main facility and destroy the system from within. The rebels have found an algorithm which can take down the security system for only 1 hour.
This is your opportunity to take down the cyborgs, otherwise the human race will cease to exist.
About Escape Now
Escape Now is the newest (and most exciting) escape room in Birmingham!
Bring your family, friends, colleagues or fellow gaming enthusiasts to Escape Now, for an unforgettable night of fun, mystery and intrigue.
We have 4 adventure rooms, which we have designed for teams of 2 to 6 players. It will be a race against the clock, as you work together to solve puzzling clues and piece together the story, before the time runs out!
To book your escape room experience, visit our website and select your game, number of players, date and time slot. We look forward to welcoming you!
Our opening hours are as follows:
MON – THU: 10am – 8:30pm
FRI – SUN: 10am – 10pm
We hope we have answered the question ‘are escape rooms scary?’
For similar content like this, read more articles on our blog, such as:
- What Age Is Best for Escape Rooms?
- Are Escape Rooms Suitable for Under 12’s?
- What is an Escape Room?
- What to Wear to an Escape Room
- How Long Do Escape Rooms Last?
- Do Escape Rooms Let You Win?
- Can You Do an Escape Room With Three?
- What Should You Not Wear To An Escape Room?