Are Escape Rooms Good for Your Brain?
Escape rooms are jolly good fun- they make a wonderful outing for a birthday, hen or stag do, or even as a team-building activity.
But did you know that escape rooms can actually bring amazing cognitive benefits?
In this article, we will explore the question, ‘are escape rooms good for your brain?’, which we hope will provide you with interesting insights.
Are escape rooms good for your brain?
It would be impossible to solve an escape room without using your brain!
When you are standing in an escape room with a group of your friends, you are constantly bouncing ideas off each other, and the creative juices are flowing (even if you are arguing!)
Escape rooms force you to use many skills, including your powers of observation, logic, perception, and creativity.
So, are escape rooms good for your brain?
Believe it or not, yes, escape rooms can stimulate your brain in positive ways! This is because escape rooms are packed with brainteasers, puzzles, riddles and games, to test your logical and analytical skills.
Puzzles are an excellent training tool to keep the mind sharp. Research has shown that puzzle games can actually boost your IQ score, as they improve your memory, concentration, vocabulary and reasoning skills.
Additionally, escape rooms require you to recognise patterns and sequences, rely on your memory, and make sense of reason abstractly. These are all key skills which significantly improve your ability to think critically and solve problems.
What’s more, a puzzle game is a healthy outlet for stress, while it also naturally enhances your mood. Working through a puzzle increases the production of dopamine in the brain, which creates feelings of satisfaction and happiness.
So, why not get yourself down to an escape room, to give your brain a fun, mental workout?
What skills can you learn from an escape room?
Escape rooms are not just marketed towards geniuses, thrill seekers and puzzle enthusiasts.
To successfully solve an escape room, your team will need:
- Problem-solving skills
- Good awareness of your surroundings
- Attention to detail
- Focus and concentration
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Time management skills
- Good communication skills
- Good memory
- Lateral thinking (a manner of solving problems using a creative approach that is not immediately obvious)
- To stay organized
All these skills are hugely useful, no matter who you are and what your job may be. When you work through an escape room, you are actually honing these skills, without even realising it, because you are having so much fun!
What is the success rate of escape rooms?
According to the blog Room Escape Artist, which reviews escape rooms, a typical escape room tends to have a 15 to 30% escape rate. This means that generally, 70 to 85% of participants fail to solve the escape room!
Almost all escape rooms keep their escape rate as low as possible, so that players can enjoy the challenge and make the most out of their game.
If the challenges are too easy, then the participants will solve them very quickly and get bored. They would regret paying for an experience which was too simple and not exciting enough!
What are the biggest mistakes you can make in an escape room?
When working through an escape room, even the tiniest mistake could cost you a victory.
We are not going to reveal the answers to solving an escape room, because that would be cheating! But follow these handy tips below, to increase your chances of winning any escape room!
- Always read the riddles and prompts carefully, as the answers may be in plain sight.
- Keep an eye out on the clock. Timing is crucial!
- Don’t ignore the instructions at the start of the challenge, because these usually contain little clues to help you get started.
- Communicate with your team, without bickering, losing your cool, or turning on each other. Nothing ruins a night out more than arguments and flared tempers. Remember that escape rooms are harmless, good-natured fun, and great teamwork is the key to success.
- Be patient. If you are impatient and try to rush the game, you might miss out on pivotal clues.
- Don’t hog all the puzzles to yourself. Allow every player to have a turn, to ensure the game is fair.
- Search the escape room thoroughly, every nook and cranny. The most obvious places may contain a clue.
- Identify patterns, sequences, and trends. There may be distractions and deflections in the escape room, which are conveniently placed to throw you off.
- Avoid keeping good ideas to yourself. Keep sharing your ideas with your team, as this will help you when you are brainstorming.
- Don’t just fixate on one clue or object. Remember that these clues work together at appointed times.
- Don’t get overconfident. Each task will vary in its difficulty level and the skillet required. Plus, your time will run out faster than you may think!
Why you should visit Escape Now
Here at Escape Now, we have innovative, immersive game rooms, designed to challenge you creatively and intellectually.
Book your visit at Escape Now to try one of our rooms:
- Sherlock´s Secret (Challenge Level: Difficult)
In a city that breathes uncertainty, a gloom lures over 221B Baker St, as Sherlock Holmes has been abducted by the very killer he was chasing. What possibly could have happened?
To find Mr Holmes, we are recruiting only the best detectives in the city to solve the mystery and find Mr Holmes before it is too late. The odds are against you, so can you find Mr Holmes in time?
A serial murderer is on the loose, and Holmes and Watson have been on the case. In typical fashion, however, Holmes was struck with a breakthrough deduction and ran off. Thinking Holmes had simply solved the case and gone back home, Watson followed shortly behind.
But when he arrived at 221B, there was no trace of Holmes – only a note left on the desk, written in the same strange code the killer has been leaving at the scenes of the crimes.
Unable to figure out the case himself, Watson recruits a top team of forensic investigators to assemble at 221B Baker St, to solve the case before time runs out and save Sherlock from the sadistic killer.
Ten years ago, Mr Hollowhill vanished without a trace, leaving only his ramshackle house behind.
Though his disappearance was suspicious, the case eventually went cold.
Recently, the house was seized by the bank, auctioned and bought at a steal by investors only wishing to sell it off.
Knowing nothing of the house’s troubled history, the renovators believe this to be a simple job, but they don’t know what they are in for.
This house holds many more secrets than first thought, and some of them are deadly. Just who was Mr Hollowhill?
Where did he go? Do you dare to enter?
- Cyberwarfare (Challenge Level: Medium)
The cyborg world has taken over from humans! Created by humans, the cyborg has
gained self-awareness and spread into millions of computer servers across the world!
You have joined the rebel army to take down the cyborgs. The task is to infiltrate the cyborg’s main facility and destroy the system from within. The rebels have found an algorithm which can take down the security system for only 1 hour.
This is your opportunity to take down the cyborgs, otherwise, the human race will cease to exist.
Gather a group of your nearest and dearest, and book your game at Escape Now– we can’t wait to see you!
Read more content about escape rooms
To learn more about escape rooms, click here to read our blog articles on:
- What Is an Escape Room? Escape Now Birmingham
- How Hard Are Escape Rooms?
- Do Escape Rooms Require High IQ?
- Are Escape Rooms Healthy?
- Can You Leave an Escape Room at Any Time?
- Can Escape Rooms Lock You In?
About Escape Now
Escape Now is the newest (and most exciting) escape room in Birmingham! Bring your family, friends, colleagues or fellow gaming enthusiasts to Escape Now, for an unforgettable night of fun, mystery and intrigue.
We have 4 adventure rooms, which we have designed for teams of 2 to 6 players. It will be a race against the clock, as you work together to solve puzzling clues and piece together the story, before the time runs out!
To book your escape room experience, visit our website and select your game, number of players, date and time slot. We look forward to welcoming you!
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions we can help you with.
We hope we have provided useful information about escape rooms, as well as answered the question ‘are escape rooms good for your brain?’